The Ministry of Health (MoH) has announced that newly recruited health professionals will begin work on July 1, 2026.
This comes after the closure of its recruitment portal last week.
Speaking at a press conference in Accra on Monday, May 18, 2026, the Director of Human Resources at the Ministry of Health, Frederick Mensah-Acheampong, said successful applicants would first report to their district health directorates for interviews and document verification before officially starting work.
“Basically, the interview is to confirm the documentation of the professionals and their readiness to start work,” Mr Acheampong explained.
He added that applicants who complete the process early would receive their salaries in July.
The ministry also announced plans to reopen the recruitment portal for a mop-up exercise to fill remaining vacancies across the country.
This phase will include teaching hospitals and psychiatric hospitals, which were excluded from the main recruitment process.
Mr Acheampong explained that the ministry intentionally left out those specialised institutions to stop applicants from focusing only on urban facilities while rural communities continued to face staff shortages.
According to him, the mop-up exercise will target about 87 unfilled positions in northern Ghana. He revealed that the ministry received no successful applications for the five available slots for certified registered anaesthetists.
More than 80 vacancies for registered public health nurses also remained unfilled after the initial recruitment process.
Mr Acheampong said the ministry would only reopen the portal after the mop-up exercise if it received additional financial clearance from the Ministry of Finance. Officials expect approval before the end of the year.
Mr Acheampong also advised health professionals to regularly update their records on the ministry’s recruitment portal instead of waiting for official recruitment announcements.
“You don’t want to wait until recruitment is out before you rush to do some of these things,” he said.
He also disclosed that the ministry would soon begin a separate recruitment exercise for medical officers to work in rural and deprived communities.
