The Ghana Report
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
Search
The Ghana ReportThe Ghana Report
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact
  • Blog
  • Complaint
  • Advertise
© 2026 The Ghana Report. All Rights Reserved.
Home » Blog » NAIMOS arrests 4 armed suspects along Ankobra River
HeadlinesNews

NAIMOS arrests 4 armed suspects along Ankobra River

Christian Wilson Bortey
2 hours ago
SHARE

Four armed suspects have been arrested by operatives of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) during a major anti-galamsey operation along the Ankobra River at Dominase in the Nzema East Municipality of the Western Region.

The suspects were arrested on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, during what NAIMOS described as a routine patrol operation aimed at clamping down on illegal mining activities destroying the Ankobra River and surrounding forest areas.

According to a statement issued by the Secretariat, the task force arrived at the illegal mining site at about 3:25 p.m. and encountered four armed men allegedly acting as security guards for the illegal miners while also actively participating in the mining activities.

“Upon arriving at the site, the task force was confronted by four armed thugs wielding machetes and pump-action guns,” portions of the statement said.

NAIMOS disclosed that the suspects allegedly resisted arrest and attempted to obstruct the operation.

“The armed thugs resisted arrest and refused to surrender to the task force. Instead, they violently attempted to obstruct the operation and prevent their arrest. However, the task force successfully subdued the suspects, leading to their apprehension,” the Secretariat stated.

The suspects were identified as Alpha Musa, Rahaman Rojer, Laji Bengali, and Mohammed Agana.

Following their arrest, the suspects were interrogated by the task force as part of efforts to gather intelligence on illegal mining networks operating in the area.

During interrogation, the suspects allegedly claimed they were operating under the protection of certain National Security operatives identified only as “Ras”, “Mambo”, and “Nana Teku”, all believed to be from Prestea.

NAIMOS said the names mentioned by the suspects have since been handed over to the police to support ongoing investigations.

Security personnel retrieved several items from the illegal mining site, including: Two pump-action guns, 82 AA cartridges, three machetes, one water pumping machine and two SDLG excavator control boards

The task force also discovered two excavators being used for the illegal mining operation.

However, due to the unavailability of low-bed transport vehicles at the time of the raid, the excavators were immobilised on site after officers removed their control boards.

According to NAIMOS, the activities of the suspects had caused extensive destruction to farmlands, forests, and sections of the Ankobra River, which remains one of the heavily polluted water bodies affected by illegal mining in Ghana.

The four suspects, together with the retrieved weapons, mobile phones, and talismans allegedly found in their possession, were later handed over to the Esiama District Police Command for further investigations and possible prosecution.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Asiedu of the Esiama District Police reportedly received the suspects.

Speaking at a previous NAIMOS press briefing in Accra, Director of Operations Colonel Dominic Buah disclosed that the Secretariat had already retrieved dozens of weapons from illegal mining sites nationwide.

“There are several weapons in the fields… this is a huge national security risk,” he warned, adding that the task force would respond decisively to any armed resistance from illegal miners.

NAIMOS has reiterated its commitment to intensifying anti-galamsey operations across the country despite increasing threats from armed groups involved in illegal mining activities.

“The Secretariat wishes to caution all illegal miners and armed thugs against any form of resistance, as the task force will not be deterred by such reckless actions,” the statement stressed.

Osu midwife arrested for involvement in child trafficking
Sam George defends anti-LGBTQ+ Bill as ‘national priority’ amid debate over gov’t focus
Mahama’s teacher posting promise questioned amid recruitment constraints
Adamus Resources Limited’s mining leases revoked
AG’s department to take over OSP cases — Deputy Attorney-General
TAGGED:illegal miningNational Anti-Illegal Mining Operation Secretariat (NAIMOS) Task Force
SOURCES:The Ghana Report

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Copy Link Print
Previous Article Film Development Fund not your ATM – Ivan Quashigah to filmmakers
Next Article Non-performing loans expected to decline further as new banking guidelines take effect –Dr. Asiama
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


							banner							
							banner

Recommended

Friday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Tuesday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Wednesday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Thursday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
COCOBOD
COCOBOD secures injunction against Dunkwa Offin chief
Headlines News

You Might also Like

Beyuo
HeadlinesNews

Titus Beyuo calls for urgent reform in Ghana’s healthcare system

Christian Wilson Bortey
Christian Wilson Bortey
2 Min Read
HeadlinesNews

Publican Ai flags risks, doesn’t set import values — GRA Boss

Kofi Agyeman
Kofi Agyeman
2 Min Read
HeadlinesNews

Man allegedly kills friend over GH¢20

Grace Quaye
Grace Quaye
1 Min Read

The Ghana Report delivers timely, reliable, and engaging news on politics, business, sports, and culture across Ghana and beyond.

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
© 2026 The Ghana Report. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?