The Ghana Report
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
Search
The Ghana ReportThe Ghana Report
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact
  • Blog
  • Complaint
  • Advertise
© 2026 The Ghana Report. All Rights Reserved.
Home » Blog » More die of suspected Ebola as WHO warns that numbers will rise further
World

More die of suspected Ebola as WHO warns that numbers will rise further

BBC
3 hours ago
SHARE

The World Health Organization (WHO) says there have now been 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths, with numbers expected to rise further given the time taken to detect the virus.

Fifty-one cases have now been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo – where the first case was reported – and two in neighbouring Uganda, WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he said the outbreak of the Bundibugyo species of Ebola was likely to have started “a couple of months ago”.

On Sunday, the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern, but said it was not at pandemic level.

Ghebreyesus said that after meeting on Tuesday, the health organisation’s emergency committee agreed the situation was “not a pandemic emergency”.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” he explained.

The 51 cases confirmed in DR Congo are in its eastern Ituri province the epicentre of the outbreak and the North Kivu province. Of the two confirmed in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, both had travelled from DR Congo, one of whom has died.

“We know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger,” the WHO chief said, adding that healthcare workers were among those who had died, which was a particular concern.

Local health workers say some facilities are being overwhelmed. Although personal protective equipment has started to arrive, they say they are still working without adequate protection.

A WHO official said investigations were under way to find out how long the virus had been spreading for, but that their priority was to curb transmission.

The first known case was a nurse who developed symptoms and died on 24 April, in Ituri’s provincial capital Bunia.

The body was repatriated to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns where the majority of cases have been reported.

Four areas in Ituri have been affected by the outbreak: Mongwalu, Bunia, Rwampara and Nyakunde.

In North Kivu, rebel-controlled Goma, eastern DR Congo’s biggest city and Butembo have reported cases.

Araali Bagamba, a lecturer who lives in Bunia, said people understand how dangerous the situation is.

“For the last three days I haven’t shaken anyone’s hand and I observe that within the general population,” she told the BBC World Service Newsday programme. “It’s our habit to shake hands all the time… [but] the habit has changed.”

Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids and through broken skin, causing severe bleeding and organ failure.

Bagamba said people “believe it will get worse before it gets better”, because people did not initially realise it was Ebola.

DRC and M23 rebels eye peace monitoring agreement in Switzerland
Driver Killed, At Least 30 Others Injured As Train Rams Into Truck In France
Iraq parliament elects Kurdish politician Nizar Amedi as president
Thousands of Palestinians pray at Al-Aqsa Mosque after Israel’s 40-day ban
Russia confirms 16 Cameroonian soldiers killed in Ukraine war

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Copy Link Print
Previous Article Ancelotti Ancelotti chooses Neymar over João Pedro for Brazil squad
Next Article Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties in Q1
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


							banner							
							banner

Recommended

cemetries
The ‘mansions’ in Ghana’s cemeteries
Spotlight
Friday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Thursday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Tuesday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News
Wednesday: Advertised Jobs In Newspapers Today
Business Headlines News

You Might also Like

World

Israel strikes southern Lebanon after US-Iran ceasefire

BBC NEWS
BBC NEWS
5 Min Read
World

Ex-Nigerian oil minister denies taking bribes

BBC NEWS
BBC NEWS
6 Min Read
World

Australia’s most decorated living soldier granted bail over war crime charges

bbc.com
bbc.com
4 Min Read

The Ghana Report delivers timely, reliable, and engaging news on politics, business, sports, and culture across Ghana and beyond.

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Election Data Center
  • The Ghana Report Jobs Fair
© 2026 The Ghana Report. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?